Slappa’s were made for Summer!
Especially in Australia where they become the standard footwear for 90% of the country!
In fact, our beloved thongs even make it onto Traveller.com.au’s list of Summer Holidays in Australia: 13 Things That Shock Foreign Visitors where according to them;
“We Really Like Wearing Thongs: Yes, thongs. Not flip-flops or jandals. Thongs. Get used to it. And in summer we’ll wear thongs pretty much everywhere. We’ll wear them to the beach, to barbecues, to the cricket, to the pub, to dinner, and to anywhere
So this month we thought we’d share some of our favourite Aussie Summer Eats, Summer Drinks and Summer Reads with you.
Nothing says Summer in Australia like freshly caught seafood and burgers on the barbie!!
Bernie’s Gourmet Burger Recipe
- Start with good quality mince for your burger patties and add grated zucchini and carrot, some finely chopped onion, cumin and coriander powder. Instead of eggs, bind your patty mixture together with Quinoa Flakes. Finish with salt & pepper.
- Use damp hands to shape your mixture into burger patties and cook on a BBQ for 5 -7 mins each side or until cooked through.
- To serve, use Turkish rolls instead of hamburger buns; it gives it a more gourmet feel. For fillings try caramelised onion, rocket instead of lettuce and finally, Beerenberg “Scotty” Hamburger Relish.
We all know beer and champers are synonymous with an Aussie Summer but we’re mixing it up this year (literally) and trying a new icy-cold cocktail that can be made with or without the alcohol.
- Squeeze 6 limes (save two quarters) into a large jug. Top with 1.5kg of watermelon juice and give it a good stir. Place in the fridge until guests arrive. Chill the glasses.
- Just before the guests arrive, run the remaining lime quarters around the rim of each chilled glass. Add 300mls of chilled vodka to the watermelon juice and stir.
- Fill each glass with ice and the pour over the watermelon taking care to restrain the lime wedges from dropping into each glass. Using a sieve or a wooden spoon to help you achieve this. (Add the wedges if you want their green in the glass).
- Garnish with a little plume of mint, a skewer of olives and two cubes of fetta.
*Recipe via Matt Preston, Delicious
Slappa’s were made for adventures… but sometimes we’d rather read about these adventures relaxing on the beach than actually live them!
Here are our top 5 Summer Reads from Australian Authors this year;
“The Red Coast“– Di
In The Red Coast, Di Morrissey returns to the red earth of the Kimberley with a passionate story of resistance and resilience under its soaring blue skies. After the upheaval which separated Jacqui Bouchard from her beloved son, she has finally settled in Broome, a magical remote town on the northwest coast of Australia.
But when a proposed mining development is unveiled, the town begins to tear itself apart. Rifts run deep, as friends, families and lovers are faced with a battle that could change their lives irrevocably. As everyone takes sides, Jacqui confronts her own dilemma – to stay or leave? Who to trust
“The Trip of a Lifetime“– Monica McInerney
But as she embarks on her journey, the flamboyant Lola is still hiding the hurtful reasons she left Ireland in the first place. What – and who – will be waiting for her on the other side of the world?
“The Three Secret Cities“– Matthew Reilly
A shadow world behind the real world… ….a world with its own history, rules and prisons, that is reaching into our world explosively. When Jack West Jr won the Great Games, he threw the four legendary kingdoms into turmoil.
For the Kids:
“This & That” – Mem Fox & Judy Horacek
I’ll tell you a story of this And I’ll tell you a story
The best-selling team that brought you Where is the Green Sheep have a new story to tell. A story of this, and a story of that. An utterly delightful bedtime tale. This and That is destined to become a classic bedtime book.
“The 104-Storey Treehouse” – Andy Griffiths & Terry Denton
The 104-Storey Treehouse is the eighth book of Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton’s wacky treehouse adventures, where the laugh-out-loud story is told through a combination of text and fantastic cartoon-style illustrations.
Slip, Slop, Slappa’s On
So that’s our recommendations of the hottest Summer Eats, Drinks and Reads for 2019!
Be sure wherever you are and however you’re enjoying your Summer that you Slip, Slop, Slap to avoid sunburn and get your Slappa’s On for amazing arch support whether you’re walking along the beach, stoking the barbie or out and about at the Australian Open.
Like our Facebook Page and Instagram to be kept up to date with all the latest news and events this Australia Day. And don’t forget to sign up to our VIP Newsletter at the bottom of this page to get $5 off your next order.
The Slappa’s Team