Especially in Australia where they become the standard footwear for 90% of the country! In fact, our beloved thongs even make it onto Traveller.com.au’s list of Summer Holidays in Australia: 13 Things That Shock Foreign Visitors where according to them.
We Really Like Wearing Thongs: Yes, thongs. Not flip-flops or jandals. Thongs. Get used to it. And in summer we’ll wear thongs pretty much everywhere. We’ll wear them to the beach, to barbecues, to the cricket, to the pub, to dinner, and to anywhere else we might happen to end up. It’s a stereotype, and it’s kind of daggy, but it’s true. After all, thongs come in handy – you might need to kill a cockroach.
So this month we thought we’d share some of our favourite Aussie Summer Eats, Summer Drinks and Summer Reads with you.
Nothing says Summer in Australia like freshly caught seafood and burgers on the barbie!! Our Summer Eats recipe comes from Bernie Dunn, Denise’s eldest, who is as good as his Mum in the kitchen – see Denise’s Mudcrab Recipe here and Chicken Noodle Veggie Soup Recipe here.
Bernie’s Gourmet Burger Recipe
- Start with good quality mince for your burger patties and add grated zucchini and carrot, some finely chopped onion, cumin and coriander powder. Instead of eggs, bind your patty mixture together with Quinoa Flakes. Finish with salt and pepper.
- Use damp hands to shape your mixture into burger patties and cook on a BBQ for 5 -7 mins each side or until cooked through.
- To serve, use Turkish rolls instead of hamburger buns; it gives it a more gourmet feel. For fillings try caramelised onion, rocket instead of lettuce and finally, Beerenberg “Scotty” Hamburger Relish.
We all know beer and champers are synonymous with an Aussie Summer but we’re mixing it up this year (literally) and trying a new icy-cold cocktail that can be made with or without the alcohol.
Watermelon Spritz Recipe
- Squeeze 6 limes (save two quarters) into a large jug. Top with 1.5kg of watermelon juice and give it a good stir. Place in the fridge until guests arrive. Chill the glasses.
- Just before the guests arrive, run the remaining lime quarters around the rim of each chilled.
- Fill each glass with ice and the pour over the watermelon taking care to restrain the lime wedges from dropping into each glass. Using a sieve or a wooden spoon to help you achieve this. (Add the wedges if you want their green in the glass).
- Garnish with a little plume of mint, a skewer of olives and two cubes of fetta.
Slip, slop, slappa’s on
So that’s our recommendations of the hottest Summer Eats, Drinks and Reads for 2019! Be sure wherever you are and however you’re enjoying your Summer that you Slip, Slop, Slap to avoid sunburn and get your Slappa’s on for amazing arch support whether you’re walking along the beach, stoking the barbie or out and about at the Australian Open.
Like our Facebook Page and Instagram to be kept up to date with all the latest news and events this Australia Day. And don’t forget to sign up to our VIP Newsletter at the bottom of this page